Midnight SunBlock Number: 43
By Terry Wilson
The tranquil setting beside the Crooked Creek in Old Fort known as “Taproot Farm,” the home of David and Judy Rozell, is the site of the latest addition to the McDowell Quilt Trail. The installation of quilt block number 43 on the McDowell Quilt Trail was held at 9 a.m. on Friday morning, July 9, to take advantage of the cool temperatures offered at the creekside.
Taproot Farm is a horse-centered farm with riding lessons, clinics, and boarding offered in a quiet setting next to the slow-moving Crooked Creek; therefore, it seemd appropriate to the Rozells to plan for a horse-featured quilt block. The Rozells searched countless patterns for their quilt block, but after a long search, they decided that no pattern available suited their desires. Then, they realized that the actual profile of a horse currently on their farm would indeed be what they wanted, and their design was soon in hand.
Mrs. Rozell stated that the theme of the block was not planned to honor one horse; instead, it was to honor the horses they have worked with throughout their lives. The design features a customized horse’s head with a full sun background. The Rozells further stated that only when the plans for the quilt block was completed did they realize that the design did indeed appear to honor one horse, Midnight Sun, World Grand Champion Tennessee Walking Horse of 1945 and 1946. Mr. Rozell stated that all Tennessee Walking horses of today can trace their lineage back to the champion horse.
The horses at Taproot Farm are Foxtrotters, but they can also lay claim to this animal’s heritage. With this in mind, it became obvious to the Rozells that the name of their quilt block, “Midnight Sun,” would honor this champion horse in particular, and all horses they have worked with over the years, in general.
The quilt block features the profile of a horse’s head and flowing mane etched against a brilliant sun. The block was constructed and painted in the studio of the McDowell Quilt Trail at the Historic McDowell House by dedicated volunteers.